Traditional camel racing in Oman
It’s not easy to find a place to watch traditional camel racing as usually there is a limited amount of information about where it happens and you need to befriend a local man before. It took us about a year to finally find the place.
Here are few tips:
- Probably the best opportunity to find camel racing is either around Barka, Al Wasil or Masirah Island.
- Ask every Omani person that you casually meet if he knows about camel racing – especially if his family is from places mentioned in #1.
- You will need an Omani guy to bring you to the race as they are usually in difficult to find places, even if you have coordinates.
- Races start early in the morning. Come before the race starts to enjoy the atmosphere… camels and riders coming from different directions, singing, and the morning sun.
- Please dress up modestly. Note that only Omani men attend the races.
- Enjoy the race and be careful as camels can sometimes run wild.